Feature Walls - On Trend or On their Way Out

Hi Everyone!
Thanks so much for checking out my blog.  Today is a gloomy weather day so it felt like a great time to get started at a new blog.  Talking about colour always lifts my mood regardless of the weather. πŸ’“Today I wanted to talk about feature or as they are sometimes called accent walls.  It seems every designer/colour consultant has a different opinion about them.  The one thing I've discovered, the longer I've been in this business, is if you talk to 5 different colour consultants you will get 5 different opinions.  That's why I think it's really important if you are thinking about hiring a professional to help you out with colours that you like their style.   Regardless if a colour application or paint colour is on trend or on it's way out - it's your home, so it's important to implement the colours and design that makes you happy!  I've sure you've heard the saying that "trends come and go but style is forever".   And the only style that matters is the one that makes you happy when you enter your home at the end of a very long day.  Now that I've got that out of my system 😏 let's get on with showing you how and when a feature wall can be a great way to implement your style into your home.
Just so you know which side of the feature wall debate I'm on - I am definitely a fan of them provided they are executed in a way that is pleasing to the eye (see even I have my limits πŸ˜€).  Feature walls provide a great opportunity to experiment with colours and textures and can be relatively inexpensive depending on the material you use.

Tips for Adding a Feature Wall  

When trying to decide what wall would make a good feature or accent wall, decide on which wall in the room you want to highlight or make your focal point.  Work with the rooms architecture, don't fight it.   In the living room or family room the wall with the fireplace or even TV can make a good feature wall.  In this living room we added the feature wall behind the couch as my client wanted to make that a gallery wall.  Colour behind a gallery wall can add extra interest to your existing pictures.  The paint colour we used on this wall was Mediterranean by Sherwin Williams.

Source
This feature wall incorporates both the TV and fireplace.  Adding a wood feature wall can add a lot of warmth to a room.




My favourite spot to put a feature wall in the bedroom is the wall that the headboards is against. 



In this beautiful bedroom they've incorporated two feature walls (the ceiling is often referred to as the 5th wall) using two different materials.

Source

Just because I love breaking the rules πŸ˜‡ I've even installed a feature wall in our powder room. It's always on view when walking down the hallway (and I LOVE botanicals so this was another way I could incorporate them into our home).


Source
Sometimes you will find that the layout of your home may not be conducive to a feature wall but you'd still like to incorporate some colour.  Colour blocking is a great option to open concept homes.  Colour blocking (in this situation) just means instead of painting the whole wall you only paint a portion of it.  This is one of my favourites by Farrow and Ball.

Source
As I mentioned earlier there are so many different materials you can use for adding a feature wall.  Some of these options are quite inexpensive while others could be quite a bit more costly.  Here are just a few of many options available.

Molding 

This can be a very inexpensive option providing you or someone you know is handy.  In this situation both paint and mill work was used to create this feature wall.



Paint

One of the least expensive and quickest ways to incorporate a feature wall.  This is one of my favourite options as it's easy to change up if you want something new.

Source
Using a paint colour (other then white) on the ceiling is also a great way to incorporate a feature or focal point in the room.  This only works though if either you are painting the whole ceiling (in an open concept) or it's a room with defined borders.



Wallpaper

This option is a little more costly but makes such a dramatic impact!  With removable wallpapers available this is a great option if you are renting.


Stone or Tile

This option is definitely more costly as you have to include both installation and materials and I would consider this option more permanent but it creates such a dramatic focal point!  This room actually has a few beautiful focal points (including the view πŸ’–).


Have you or would you consider adding a feature or accent wall into your home?  I'd love to hear from you.

Have a Colourful Day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Favourite Warm Neutral Paint Colours from Sherwin Williams

My 5 Favourite Dark Blue Paint Colours by Sherwin Williams

My Favourite Blue Paint Colors